Massages have been the most effective, time-tested and natural contributors to great health and fitness; it is also recognized to cure aches & pains, muscle tensions and high levels of stress, which pregnant women experience. Yes, pregnancy massage or prenatal massage since it is commonly called has shown to be probably the most effective ways to treat a number of the pregnancy-related discomforts. Along with eliminating physical difficulties, it leaves you calm and relaxed. Just what exactly are these massages about? How effective are they? Can they be achieved at home? How different is it from the regular massages? Here is all you needed to know about prenatal massages:
What is a Prenatal Massage? Pregnancy, for a female, brings whole new things in her life, and alongside it comes some not-so-pleasant things like back aches, cramping legs, stress, mood swings and so on. To reduce these discomforts and to make your journey towards motherhood easy and less strenuous, prenatal or pregnancy massages are given. This massage has been designed exclusively for pregnant women, and uses gentle massage strokes with specialized oils to spotlight general wellness, also to relieve them from stress, anxiety and pains.
Why Prenatal Massage? Though the idea of massages have existed for many centuries, this selection of massage is fairly recent, and is gaining popularity. Many pregnant women around the world are embracing this massage therapy for the multiple benefits it includes.
The following are the various benefits of pregnancy massage:
– It helps your body release endorphins, which are formed in the body to reduce pain naturally.
– Stress is really a common feature during pregnancy, and these massages assist in significantly reducing stress; while reducing the stress hormones, it also works on releasing feel-good hormones like serotonin.
– Prenatal massage promotes good blood circulation to the body thereby, relieving edema and swelling in the legs and other parts of the body. The kneading action in the massage helps take away the water retention in women that are pregnant, which is a major catalyst for swelling.
– The massage is really a major mood-uplifter and stress-reliever. It can help keep anxiety and stress levels at bay. Furthermore, gentle strokes on the abdomen relax the infant.
– If sleeplessness or pregnancy-related insomnia is a concern, fret not. This massage enables good sleep, which is essential for the body through the pregnancy term. GearHow.com
– Another major benefit is that, regular pregnancy massages prepare the muscles for childbirth and increases flexibility of the joints.
Prenatal Massages vs. Generic Massages
Though the results of both massages are relaxing and therapeutic, the techniques useful for prenatal massages vary drastically and must be performed with utmost care. Unlike generic massages, prenatal massages involve, lighter, gentle and shorter strokes in the abdomen, spine and legs. The safety and comfort of mom and baby are top priorities therefore, the massage uses less pressure and easy strokes to supply maximum benefits.
Benefits of Giving Massages at Home
Prenatal massages require a great deal of care and attention. The common belief is that just a certified therapist can provide a specialized massage such as this. However, the good news is that you don’t need to be a professional masseuse to provide a prenatal massage to yourself or perhaps a partner/spouse/family member.
The biggest advantage of getting a prenatal massage at home is that you get to bond better with your partner/spouse. This gives them a chance to participate in one of the biggest events you will ever have, and ease your journey towards it. Another benefit is that you can get these massages with out a cost, and anytime you need it. The familiar and loving touch of one’s loved one can do wonders to your body and mind.
If you have been taking an antenatal class, you’ll have received some basic training on pregnancy massage techniques. If you’re not part of one, you could look up the Internet for different guides that give you a detailed description of the way the massage can be done.
Good to Know – Consult with a doctor before giving/getting massages during your pregnancy period. If you are giving a house pregnancy massage, research and understand the techniques well. Avoid the massage during the first trimester to eliminate the chance of miscarriage. If you can find sores, wounds or existing conditions, do not massage those areas. Immediately report it to the doctor.